By: Alexa Gonzaga
We were so excited to welcome 102 new and returning members to our first meeting of the spring semester! Below, find a recap of what we discussed at our meeting:
Being a PRSSA member comes with tons of perks. Not only do you get access to chapter-specific benefits such as top industry speakers, an internship database, agency tours, and socials, but you also get access to national PRSSA benefits such as a national job/internship database, career resource manual, exclusive scholarships and grants, and more.
What to expect this semester
- T-shirts: We have new T-shirts this semester! We’ll keep you posted on when they come in.
- Senior Series: New for this semester, we’ll be hosting three sessions designed especially for graduating seniors, covering topics such as post-grad internships, salary negotiations, and relocating for a job. Dates are TBD, but invite your friends — the Senior Series is open to ALL Moody College students!
- Socials: We will be hosting a social with our sister organization Texas Tower PR, as well as a tri-chapter social with Texas State and St. Edward’s University. Stay tuned for dates, times, and locations!
- Member of the Year: Our member of the year award is given to an outstanding member who participates often and shows dedication to PRSSA. The winner will receive a $75 Amazon gift card (as voted by you!) for their efforts. Stay active in PRSSA and the member of the year might just be you!
- The PRSSA 2017 National Conference will be in Boston! Conference is a great way to build your network and attend workshops hosted by top industry pros. You’ll learn a lot and have fun while doing it! We encourage you to apply for the National PRSSA Grant and start saving your money — it’s never too early!
- Exciting news: the 2018 National Conference will be right here in Austin! Current freshmen and sophomores will have the opportunity to network and learn from PR pros right in our own backyard.
- Regional PRSSA conferences will be held at the University of Oklahoma from Feb. 24-25 and at Loyola University in New Orleans from Mar. 11-12. Email Nancy if you’re interested in going!
Becoming a member
Visit our “Become a Member” page for more info on how to join PRSSA. Dues are $75 and will last an entire year. The deadline to pay is Feb. 21 — afterwards, dues will increase to $85 until our final deadline on Feb. 24.
Dates to know
- Jan. 26 – PRSA Austin January Happy Hour at the Black Finn Pub at the Domain. Email Nancy if you’re interested in going! You don’t have to be 21.
- Feb. 2 – Application deadline for Texas Tower PR, our sister org and UT’s only student-run PR firm.
- Feb. 7 – Our next meeting! The topic will be Social Influencers. We’ll also have a visit from CCS regarding the upcoming career fair.
- Feb. 22 – Spring 2017 Communication Career Fair
- February – Agency tour at HomeAway – date TBA
See you at our next meeting!